[Coral-List] Coral bleaching in the western coast of Mexico

Hector Reyes hreyes at uabcs.mx
Thu May 8 11:59:55 EDT 2008

Dear coral listers, a news flash. From february to april we have witnessed
a very strong bleaching in the entire southern region of the gulf of
california and adjacent waters (from 25N to 20N). Pocilloporid corals are
very damaged, and total coral mortality in some areas surpasses 50%; this
figure is higher than the one we reported in 1997-98 for the same region,
after the ENSO. Has anyone else in the western coast of the Americas has
noticed something similar? Gracias.

Hector Reyes
UABCS, La Paz