[Coral-List] Reef restoration in Nevis

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Wed May 21 15:53:51 EDT 2008

Dear Barb,

We're always ready to work with all serious partners. But there is
ABSOLUTELY NO funding available since the concrete lobby and the
"resilient reef" believers make sure that no funding goes to serious
restoration. They say either you should dump expensive cement on it
or you should just declare a marine protected area, sit back, and the
reef will bounce back all by itself......

No government or large funding agency is yet interested because the
funding is controlled by the "resilience" racket. Our projects in
more than 20 countries have all been done on shoestring in-kind
contributions from  local people who remember how their reefs used to
be, have seen them vanish, want them back, realize that if they don't
start growing corals right now using methods that speed up their
growth (typically 2-6 times higher than genetically identical
controls in the same habitat, depending on species and conditions),
their survival from severe heat shock (16-50 times higher survival
than surrounding reefs), and recruitment (orders of magnitude higher)
they will lose them all, and recognize that if they want to play
funding agency games their reefs will disappear long before any
money  to send foreign "experts" to tell them what to do is approved.
There is massive denial of what can be done by people who can't be
bothered to look for themselves, won't trust their own lying eyes,
and believe everything they see in "peer" "reviewed" papers (you can
be sure we'll hear more from them on the list server). For developing
countries we have no choice but to use the technology we have
developed ourselves and kiss technology "transfer" from the rich
countries goodbye, because the rich countries certainly don't know
how to do it, and refuse to accept that poor islanders do!

These projects can be any size or shape, and that naturally affects
the cost. Around $100 per square meter is fairly typical for a reef
say 3-4 meters high, but depending on distance from shore, wave
energy, and source of power. We also do MUCH cheaper in-situ
restoration with no structures or transplantation but this does not
create the incredible fish habitat of our typical designs. Last week
at the United Nations I demonstrated wave energy generators that work
in waves as small as 10 centimeters, which will allow fisheries
habitat restoration and beach restoration projects in places that
could not be affordably powered before, But it will be another year
before that technology is perfected and widely available.

There are real costs to be sure. But that is not the real issue. It
is far cheaper to maintain the biodiversity. tourism, shore
protection, and fisheries benefits of reefs than to build a concrete
wall to hold back the sea when they are gone (about $10,000  to
$15,000 per meter). We certainly can't save it all from out of
control global warming, global sea level rise, new diseases, and
pollution, but if we don't restore all we can, what will we have left?

Please note that I have nowhere used the first word of the title and
the 9th word of your message. I am banned from using this word on the
list server, and I'm frankly amazed your message passed the censors!

Best wishes,
Tom

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President