[Coral-List] Filter feeding bivalves for improvements in coastal water quality

Wera Leujak wera.leujak at web.de
Fri May 23 15:31:04 EDT 2008

Dear Coral-Listers,

I am currently trying to get an overview of the feasibility of using filter-feeding bivalves for improvements in water quality. I am undertaking this work for the Save Our Seas Foundation. The foundation is keen to get involved in funding small-scale pilot studies on this topic in the future in cooperation with research institutions or aquaculture facilities that already have experience in this area. Hence, one of the aims of the overview is to identify potential cooperation partners. While I am aware of a wealth of theoretical studies on the topic (mainly in temperate waters), I came across little information on past or ongoing small- or large-scale practical field trials in the tropics. I am aware that there have been some trials in Israel (National Center for Mariculture) and in Jordan (Marine Science Station at Aqaba), but do not know if they are still ongoing.

I therefore would like to get in touch with you if you have worked or are working on one of the following topics:
- Use of filter-feeding bivalves (giant clams or others) or artificial reef structures to improve coastal water quality in tropical waters by removal of nutrients (N,P)
- Use of bivalves as biofilters in integrated aquaculture / polyculture in the tropics (land-based and open ocean facilities)
- Use of bivalves as biofilters for the removal of toxic pollutants in tropical coastal waters or in aquaculture effluents

Many thanks

Wera

Dr. Wera Leujak
Consultant