[Coral-List] Measuring coral growth rates

nicola browne nikkibrowne_uk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 28 01:19:50 EDT 2008

Dear coral listers,

Does anyone have any experience in assessing in situ
coral growth rates for turbinaria (or plate corals in
general) and galaxea?  I am hoping to quantitatively
assess carbonate budgets for inshore turbid reefs,
within which these corals are abundant.  I am aware of
staining techniques for branching corals, and using
annual growth bands for massives.  Can either of these
be applied to other coral morphologies successfully?

Any insights/methodologies/comments would be extremely
welcome!

Thanks

Nicola Browne
PhD student