[Coral-List] sunscreen and corals

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Fri May 30 15:01:59 EDT 2008

Dear Kee Alfian, Your question re: sunscreen
included, "anybody got any comment." Well yes I
do. I obtained the original paper by Danavaro et
al., some months ago. I did not understand the
chemistry so I sent it to a friend who
understands that kind of stuff far better than I.
He became very animated and brings it up every
time we talk. His became interested because for
his PhD he worked on pesticides concentrated in
surface films (think ocean slicks) and he has
also smelled the perfume when the cattle boats
unload dozens of snorkelers on the reef. This
fellow went on to head the US EPA pesticide
toxicology lab for ten years and then did ten
years on the hill doing EPA policy stuff before
retiring to Key West, Florida. He is also a
Fellow of the American Academy of Environmental
Medicine. We have been collaborating on the
African Dust issue (mainly public health aspects)
for several years. With that said, he was very
impressed with the sun screen research article.
The basic story is that the zooxanthelle contain
latent viruses (for example when you get shingles
it is caused by the latent chicken pox virus that
remains in your body for the rest of your life.)
In the sunscreen tests the corals were placed in
2 L bags of sea water with sunscreen (I don't
recall the amount). The sunscreen stimulated the
latent virus in the zooxanthelle to proliferate
causing them to be ejected by the coral. This did
not happen with the controls that did not contain
sunscreen. The virus that was present in the
sunscreen bleached corals were not present in the
controls. The control corals did not bleach. His
main point when we discussed it is that this is
not a toxicity response but rather an immune
response. An immune response is something much
more subtle than a toxicity reaction. Being a
chemical oceanographer by training he verified
that the chemistry and the various compounds used
were correct. The main issue is volume. How can
there be enough sunscreen to cause such a
reaction. It is a large ocean after all.
     His thought on the volume issue was that
sunscreen is likely to be incorporated and
concentrated in the surface slicks. In his
pesticide work he found many years ago that
pesticides were often concentrated there by a
factor of a million or more over what is in the
water column. Now imagine a sunscreen
contaminated slick passing over a coral reef
where there is enhanced wave mixing. Could
concentrated sunscreen oil be released in the
wave-mixed reef waters? He says this certainly
happens with pesticides (and African dust for
that matter). Also an immune reaction would not
require a large concentration. Once started the
virus could continue to proliferate when the
sunscreen is long gone. So, I don't necessarily
buy in to all this but I have seen the slicks of
suntan crème and smelled the fragrance of coconut
on some of my favorite reefs when the cattle
boats unloaded. I suggest some more
experimentation is in order. Go for it. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor