[Coral-List] CITES - Source Code Designation for Export/Import - Malaysia

Don Baker reefpeace at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 03:30:07 EST 2008

Coral L:

Malaysia Fisheries - both Federal and Sabah State level - insist to designate the F1 & 2 farmed corals originating from Sabah as "R".......   As this is all new to Malaysia...with its first Coral Farm operations initiated via Yayasan Sabah in 2006 - a national landmark achievement for sustainable mariculture...(http://www.innofishcfp.com/)...can anyone clarify this impass/issue?

Thanks,
Don Baker

        Source code

        A letter used on CITES permits and certificates to indicate the source of the specimen covered therein as follows:
         W  Specimens taken from the wild

            R   Specimens originating from a ranching operation

            D   Appendix-I animals bred in captivity for commercial purposes and Appendix-I plants artificially propagated for commercial purposes, as well as parts and derivatives thereof, exported under the provisions of Article VII, paragraph 4, of the Convention

                  A   Plants that are artificially propagated in accordance with Resolution Conf. 11.11 (Rev. CoP14), paragraph a), as well as parts and derivatives thereof, exported under the provisions of Article VII, paragraph 5,
of the Convention (specimens of species included in Appendix I that
have been propagated artificially for non-commercial purposes and
specimens of species included in Appendices II and III)

                  C   Animals bred in captivity in accordance with Resolution Conf. 10.16 (Rev.),
as well as parts and derivatives thereof, exported under the provisions
of Article VII, paragraph 5, of the Convention (specimens of species
included in Appendix I that have been bred in captivity for
non-commercial purposes and specimens of species included in Appendices
II and III)

                  F   Animals born in captivity (F1
or subsequent generations) that do not fulfil the definition of ‘bred
in captivity’ in Resolution Conf. 10.16 (Rev.), as well as parts and
derivatives thereof

                  U  Source unknown

                  I    Confiscated or seized specimens

                  O  Pre-Convention specimens

Alternate Email: donbjr95 at hotmail.com

"Dedication and motivated direction in achieving specific goals related to the care and protection of living things is not necessarily a guaranteed formula for success.  Success is, more often than not, a direct result of a person’s passion in addition to the above formula." [Don Baker, Marine Conservationist/Activist, 1998]