[Coral-List] New publication regarding non-point source fecal pollution in coral reefs

Hernandez Edwin coral_giac at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 21:57:25 EST 2008

Dear coral listers.

Hola!! This short notice is to inform you of the recent online publication of the following paper in Marine Pollution Bulletin:

Bonkosky, M., E.A.
Hernández-Delgado, B. Sandoz, I.E. Robledo, J. Norat-Ramírez, & H. Mattei. 2008. Detection of spatial fluctuations of non-point
source fecal pollution in coral reef surrounding waters in southwestern Puerto
Rico using PCR-based assays. Mar. Poll. Bull. doi:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2008.
09.008

This paper deals with the first ever application of PCR-based assays to discriminate between human and animal non-point source fecal pollution in coral reef habitats. Results demonstrated that the method was sensitive enough to separate human fecal pollution from that of other sources. The majority of fecal pollution was of human origin, and that even coral reefs located mid-shelf off the western coast of Puerto Rico that met current microbiological water quality standards showed signs of fecal pollution.

It can be found through the following link or by contacting me through this email address.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2008.09.008

Cheers.

Edwin

Edwin A. Hernández-Delgado, Ph.D.