[Coral-List] Underwater Video of Offshore Platforms in theGulf of Mexico (Wendy Cyriacks)

Dokken, Dr. Quenton qdokken at gulfmex.org
Thu Oct 9 11:12:45 EDT 2008

Good Morning,

Gene is right; and it is time we get real not only about energy policy but
also about the complete picture of degradation and loss of our marine
resources.  Earlier communications implied that offshore oil/gas exploration
will destroy the pristine coastal environments of Florida. Tell me, what
happened to the reefs of the Florida Keys?  There is no o/g industry in the
Keys.  Promoting conservation and land-use planning for sustainable quality
of life I travel all 11 Gulf States of the U.S. and Mexico and the U.S.
Caribbean Territories. Everywhere I go I see coastal habitats being
destroyed more by on-shore infrastructure development than offshore o/g
activities.

Infrastructure to support tourism (hotels, condominiums, restaurants, putt
putt golf courses, paved roads, etc), ports, recreational marinas, shore
side businesses and industries, and homes on the beach are more of a threat
to the quality, quantity, and sustainability of coastal habitats than
offshore oil/gas activities.  Yet, political and business leaders,
real-estate developers, bankers, etc continuously wave the flag of more
growth!  The rallying mantra is "a community not growing is a dying
community."  On the islands of the Caribbean the push is for more tourist
infrastructure, more million dollar homes on the hill sides, more marinas,
more paved roads, more - more - more followed by a lot of hand wringing
because shore side habitats are decorated with trash and the once crystal
clear water of the bays is turning brown with algae.

Then when a natural event such as a hurricane wipes out this expensive
infrastructure and litters coastal habitats with millions of tons of human
debris, we tax the citizens to rebuild "bigger and better!"  We call these
"natural" disasters - there is nothing natural about them.  Hurricanes are
natural phenomena; the disaster is entirely man made!  And, demographers
tell us that the national population continues to migrate toward the shores.

For the foreseeable future offshore oil/gas production is here to stay.
Yes, it needs to be managed to have the least environmental footprint
possible.  And, I don't know of anyone in the o/g industry who would dispute
this point.  They get it!  They are fully invested in environmental
sustainability.  They also will agree that we need to be developing
alternative energy sources and more efficient use of hydrocarbon energy
sources.  Some of these o/g companies are leading efforts to develop
alternative energy sources.

The other industries, tourism, ports, marinas, food service, home builders,
banking, etc, are here to stay too.  They need to be involved in
environmental planning just as much as the offshore o/g industry.  No one
industry can be blamed for all the ills we face.  So the challenge and
greatest need is to honestly identify the impact of each industry and use
long-term land use planning to minimize these impacts.  This is the only way
we will achieve coastal communities that will provide a sustainable quality
of life.

Quenton Dokken, Ph.D.
Executive Director
Gulf of Mexico Foundation, Inc.