[Coral-List] 2. Re: Atlantis Dubai whale shark (Sarah Frias-Torres)

William Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 10:13:00 EDT 2008

I had reservations about posting this topic to coral list but did so
for several reasons:

1. There are rumoured to be reputable reef scientists working in
Dubai, who might provide first-hand disinterested information - so
far, little joy.
2. Whale sharks are an important tourist attraction in Maldives where
they are usually observed feeding over reefs and arguably constitute a
part of that coral reef ecosystem (as do the folks that brought us
Dubai-style coastal development, active in Maldives since a few
years).
3. The whale shark controversy provides opportunity to renew attention
to the larger issue of coastal ecosystem destruction off Dubai (done
deal and new deal) and looming in Abu Dhabi and elsewhere. You have
capitalized on this several times, and by the way, the request to
investigate the whale sharks was stimulated by your earlier post
describing Dubai coastal destruction which I had forwarded to the
person initiating my inquiry. That discreet businessperson described
the Palm as "the profanity", so the message is getting through. The
more reminders the better.
4. Last, the list did not appear to be overwhelmed with traffic when I
posted the inquiry, nor does it now, but even so, I will shift this
discussion off-list in a day or two if it does not as I expect peter
out on its own.

Bill