[Coral-List] back to corals...

RainbowWarriorsInternational southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 10:19:30 EDT 2008

Dear Lee,

A very valid point indeed. Can anyone tell me which official points of view exist from large NGOs like the ICRAN, WWF, Conservation International, IUCN, Nature Conservancy on the trade in marine species for use in aquariums, be it large, or small, and covering the entire spectrum of species, i.e. corals, fish, anemones, sponges, cetaceans, sharks, cephalopods etc.?

To my knowledge too much focus has been on the larger creatures with a high cuddle factor like cetaceans, sharks, rays and skated and pinnipeds.

The runaway success of the animated motion picture Finding Nemo must have touched some nerves worldwide, but somehow this never translated into a useful discussion on the issue.

I assume that after the numerous congresses, conferences and global meetings on coral reefs and related ecosystems, and the recent IUCN event in Barcelona, in which corals received attention, we should refocus on this issue.

Another point never duly discussed is the extent and geographical incidence of this (illegal) trade.

We seem to know a lot more about tigers, rhinos, elephants, bears and exotic birds and animals than the trade in (endangered) marine species.

Who is keeping the numbers on all species?

Lee Goldman <coralfarmguam at yahoo.com> wrote: Hi List,

.....and if gearing the discussion back towards corals as an appropriate topic for discussion; I am still trying to find the connection between the aquarium trade (as a whole with emphasis on the private home-hobbyists) and reef conservation (as originally stated from Les Kaufman's post) since millions of corals are taken OFF of the reef for the largely private enjoyment of individuals. Is this how reefs should be appreciated? Is it catch-22 in that those that appreciate the reefs, do so because they are able to collect from them? Maybe this is priming for when this may be the ONLY way to see corals in our world?

And for those who would argue that millions of corals aren't taken off of the reefs annually (referencing CITES as your best source), please credit the number of corals taken illegally each year and, in pursuit of fish for the same industry, the number of corals killed each year as incidentals.

Regards,

Lee Goldman
LJL Expeditions
B6, L10 Gumamela St
Garden City 3
Paranaque, Philippines
H: +63 2 825 5057
M: +63 905 426 6043
email: LJL Expeditions
www.asiakayaktours.com

Milton Ponson, President
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
(Rainbow Warriors International)
Tel. +297 568 5908
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
Email: southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
Web Sites: http://www.southerncaribbean.org
http://www.rainbowwarriors.net (Global)
http://www.ecoaruba.com (Aruba)

To unite humanity in a global society dedicated to a sustainable way of life