[Coral-List] CITES permit exemptions for corals

Richard Dunne RichardPDunne at aol.com
Wed Oct 29 13:11:48 EDT 2008

Strictly speaking the document to which you were referred is an
interpretation of the Convention for European Union countries only.

The relevant provisions of CITES are:

Conf. 11.10 (Rev. CoP14) which contains definitions. Relevant to
biologists who collect coral samples which were once alive but in the
process of collecting/ preservation are killed, are the definitions of:

DEAD CORAL - pieces of coral that are dead when exported, but that may
have been alive when collected, and in which the structure of corallites
(the skeleton of the individual polyp) is still intact; specimens are
therefore identifiable to the level of species or genus.
THESE ARE SUBJECT TO CITES
and
CORAL FRAGMENTS (including gravel and rubble) - unconsolidated fragments
of broken finger-like dead coral and other material between 2 and 30mm
in diameter, which is not identifiable to the level of genus.
THESE ARE NOT SUBJECT TO CITES by virtue of
Conf. 9.6 (Rev.) "coral sand and coral fragments [as defined in the
Annex of Resolution Conf. 11.10 (Rev. CoP14)3] are not considered
readily recognizable and are therefore not covered by the provisions of
the Convention."

So yes by definition anything fitting into the definition of a CORAL
FRAGMENT under Conf. 11.10 (Rev. CoP14) is NOT covered by CITES
throughout the world by all parties to the Convention. This would
include tips of branching corals and also cores from massive corals less
than 30mm in diameter.

It also appears that specimens of (for example) decalcified coral
embedded in resin for electron microscopy, or other dead material in
formalin etc., where there is no skeleton (e.g., tissue slurry or other
tissue extracts) are also EXEMPT since they no longer have any skeleton
by which they can be identified. Additionally, specimens of this type
which have skeleton but fall within the 2-30mm size would be EXEMPT as
being Coral fragments.

Anyone like to comment further on this?

Richard P Dunne