[Coral-List] Commercial fish species United States names in foreign languages

Georgina Bustamante gbustamante at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 11 16:16:37 EDT 2008

Dear Milton,

There is no such thing as a "Spanish name". In the US, fish common names
were standardized in 1980 (Nomenclator....) and published by the American
Fisheries Society, but in Latin American, common names are greatly variable,
among and within countries. You just have to choose the ones used (and
published) in one country (or region) and stick to them, unless you can
use/mention 3-5 names.

I use (and so suggest you to do it, as well) this publication:

"Ecology of the Marine Fishes of Cuba". 2002. Claro, K. Lindeman and L.
Parenti, eds., Smithsonian Institution Press"

where you can find a list of marine fishes scientific and common names in
English and Spanish (for Cuba).

I guess it is even more difficult for Dutch names, since N Atlantic fish
species in Dutch-speaking territories (Netherland Antilles) may vary from
island to island. However, Netherland Antilles experts may be able to help
you.

Since this is a frequent issue in the multi-lingual Caribbean region, I send
the message to the entire list.

In addition, I am c.ciing this message to a friend and marine biologist in
Aruba that may be able to help you.

Georgina Bustamante, Ph.D.
Independent consultant
Marine conservation and fisheries sciences

 "Disseminating knowledge and creating networks to promote
best marine management practices in Latin America and the Caribbean"

3800 N Hills Dr. #216
Hollywood, Florida 33021
U.S.A.
tel/fax(request) +1 (954) 963-3626; alt tel. +1 305-2265548
mobile: +1 (305) 2976995
gbustamante at bellsouth.net