[Coral-List] Reefs in Trouble - The Real Root Cause

Martin Moe martin_moe at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 12:16:25 EDT 2008

Hi Alina, et. al.,

I’ve thought about this, as have we all, I suspect. What will
our world be like in 50, 100, 200 years? If we look back 100 to 200 years it is
absolutely astonishing how much and how rapidly our world wide civilization has
changed this planet and the life that occupies it. One of the things that
science has taught us is that in the natural world, growth without limits is
unsustainable and change, sometimes catastrophic change, occurs as the limits
of growth are reached. If humanity is to persist and create a compatible,
cooperative world wide civilization, then the mantra of our societies must
change from “growth and development” to “stability and sustainability”. If we
do not then we are certainly headed for a chaotic time, far more than at
present, of economic competition and actual war over space and natural
resources. One result will be great changes in how we perceive the world and in
our behavior toward competing societies, and they will not be changes for the
better.

The growth and development of our civilizations has been
stimulated and justified in large part by our various past and current religions
that are predicated on the guiding influence of a supernatural reality and/or
being. But, however we perceive the structure of reality; it has been the fundamentals
of science and technology that has powered the success of our functional conquest
of the natural world. Now if one or more of our extent religions is a true
refection of reality, then we need not worry, the course of events is set and the
future of the world, and our existence, is sealed. But, if we are the masters
of our fate, and the world will not be changed by the foreordained imposition
of a supernatural power, then there is much to worry about.

Assuming that a supernatural being (s) will not intervene in
our future, then, to achieve a civilization of sustainable stability one of two
things must happen.

1. All societies must recognize the fragile and natural
nature of our world, the bonds of our humanity, the essential need for cooperative
rather than competitive governments, the essential need for population control,
and the essential need for world ecosystem management. Will this happen,
unfortunately, I doubt it.

Or:

2. All governments must recognize the truths in the above statement
and must create and enforce the laws necessary to impose without exception the
reforms necessary to preserve and equalize the benefits of civilization to all
societies. Will this happen, I doubt it.

Sometimes I think that our last great hope for the future of
humanity is that the world that arises from the ashes of our civilization will
learn from the mistakes of the past and create a better world where the coral
reefs, rain forests, and plains and tundras of the future will flourish and humanity
will understand the limits of growth and the scientific basis of the term
Ecology.

But of course, I could be very wrong. The efforts we have
begun can result in a general awaking and understanding, the elements of this
are present, and we may be able to develop our civilization into sustainable
stability, and repair and restore our ecosystems, so we must work toward that
with all our effort and all our heart. In any event, our efforts to understand our marine ecosystems are not wasted and are basic to management and restoration of what we have now and will greatly aid future generations to understand and improve whatever exists at that time. I’ll do what I can.

Martin Moe