[Coral-List] "Reefs in Trouble"

Steve LeGore slegore at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 14 21:21:02 EDT 2008

Stephen,
I would suggest slightly amending your point 2 to read, "Does the human species have the genetic ability to create and maintain
systems of INTERnational governance that make sustainable environmental stewardship possible?"  Clearly, many of the considerations are nationalistic and cultural, and one must wonder if our DNA insists on aggressive attitudes toward others unlike us in some perceived way, as in going to battle with those folks at that other fire hearth on the other side of the mountain, or whether we can overcome such instincts in response to the common good.  Could it be that we have survived to this point because we are hard wired to be acquisitive, or greedy, and to seek power over others as a means of defense and clan survival?  Or can we redefine our "clan" as humankind in general?  Our news reports certainly indicate that we have some distance yet to travel in this regard, and I agree that the question extends way beyond coral reefs.
Steve LeGore