[Coral-List] software replacement for mapsource?

Andrew Davies Andrew.Davies at sams.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 05:09:58 EDT 2008

Dimitar,

I use ArcGIS linked in realtime to my Garmin GPS using the GPS Toolbar. Not great but is ok for most purposes.

On the other hand, you might want to check out:
http://www.oziexplorer.com/

It is a pretty fully featured system and might do what you want.

Regards,
Andrew

Dr Andrew Davies
Scottish Association for Marine Science
andrew.davies at sams.ac.uk
http://www.anddavies.co.uk

Amazing coral site: http://www.lophelia.org/

The Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS) is registered in Scotland as a Company Limited by Guarantee (SC009292) and is a registered charity (9206).  There are 2 wholly owned subsidiary companies: SAMS Research Services Ltd a Limited Company (SC224404) and the European Centre for Marine Biotechnology, a Company Limited By Guarantee (SC205318). All Companies in the group are registered in Scotland and share a registered office at Dunstaffnage Marine Laboratory, Oban Argyll PA37 1QA.

The content of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of SAMS unless specifically stated.

>>> dimitar.berov at googlemail.com 12/09/2008 13:58 >>>

Dear All,
I am a PhD student in benthic ecology working in the Bulgarian academy of
sciences on research projects related to macroalgal benthic communities
along the Black sea coast. I am currently looking for a program that would
be a good replacement for Garmin's MapSource. We've been having way too many
issues with Garmin's software and I would be really happy to find a better
solution for our daily needs. I am sure most of the users of the list have
similar issues with field work and have found better products to work with
than Garmin's software..
What I am looking for is a software package that can edit garmin gps files
and tracks,can link up to Garmin gps devices,  could use various gps
formats,  read Garmin maps. Any additional features that might be useful in
mapping coastal habitats and work on stations. Compatibility with GIS
formats would also be an advantage, but in any case we are using Arc GIS for
our mapping and more advanced procedures.
All the best,
Dimitar Berov, BAS-BG