[Coral-List] Corals in the Gulf

Iain Macdonald dr_iamacdonald at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 17:40:33 EDT 2008

On the nomeculture the agreed non-political name is the Regional Organisation for the Protection of the Marine Environment (ROPME) Sea Area. A mouth full for sure but there will never be settlement on the choice of either Arabian (predominately favoured by Gulf Arabs) or Persian (predominately favoured by persians and the UK/US admiratilies - yes they can agree on something....). The ROPME sea area covers the whole gulf and out into the gulf of oman, basicaly what is designated a special area under MARPOL 73/78. If you do use ROPME Sea area in internet based forums be prepared for compliants from people who dont know what it means and obviously havent found the full usefulness of the internet.

The ROPME sea area has been well known for temperature and salinity tolerant (in terms of both being very variable and certain higher than the norm) marine species and not just coral since the late 50's. Such a shame there is little published work easily available on the current status by ROPME who are the regional co-ordinators for such efforts.

Most maps depiciting coral reefs around Qatar are wrong as based on Admiratly Maps that are vague and difficult to differentiate between coral reefs and coral carpet bedrock. his includes reefs of the world. Most maps depiciting the actual land border around Qatar are also wrong....due to recent events in the last decades. There are a number of marine areas with Fasht (where land may be exposed at spring low tides) and other islands under debate to their ownership within the region so care should be taken when highlighting these. These areas along with other "protected" sites can still have excellent / recovering coral communities.

The gulf around Qatar a few thousand years ago was around 2 m deeper and allowed development of coral communities probably due to reduced thermal variation and more normal salinity. At the moment there only appears to be a few super toelrant Faviids and Porites with Acropora not particularly making a refuge in the gulf and depending on stock from further afield to supply recruitment.

I'll Send you some seperate info on distribution around Qatar off-line once i am back in the region and contact details for the local Ministry of Environment who are responsible for monotoring in Qatar.

Best of luck and let us know your publication detials.

Iain Macd.