[Coral-List] Job Postings Policy

Jim Hendee Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 19 08:16:24 EDT 2008

Greetings, Coral-Listers,

    Actually, there will be no change in policy from our end in the
allowing of job postings; however, I hope from this thread that those of
you who do post job opportunities will pay heed to the previous thread
and to the guidance below.

    Many organizations that post job postings only come to the list to
do just that:  post job announcements; thus, they are not going to
remember or refer to any specific format.  Additionally, Alina Szmant
has a good point:  if  you're curious about a job in some other country,
it only makes sense that the country will only allow you to work there
if you follow specific guidelines (e.g., citizenship).  Finally,
restricting any sort of job posting only makes matters worse for those
who are desperately seeking employment, and at least for U.S. citizens,
they are unfortunately a growing group these last several years.  But of
course I want to help all job seekers, and it is continually one of my
finest personal rewards as moderator when I meet new people who are
subscribers and they tell me that they got their great job because of
Coral-List.

    So, I would like to encourage those of you out there who seek to
post job announcements to please try to include, or at least consider as
a checklist, the following in your postings:

    * In the Subject heading, state a brief description of the position,
      e.g., "Job:  NOAA/CHAMP Program Manager."
    * In the narrative, give a brief description of the job, including
      the two or three most important requirements for the position,
      without which the applicant will not be considered.
    * State the place of actual work, and if possible, a realistic
      explanation of what living in that place will be like (e.g.,
      remote site, frequent power outages, huge budget to work with,
      high cost of living, little social interaction, award winning
      crew, wild neighborhood dogs, whatever).
    * In addition to stating the salary, perhaps state realistic path to
      promotion.
    * Provide links to documents showing necessary information like
      citizenship requirements, annual and sick leave policy, relocation
      assistance (or lack thereof), organizational structure (including
      title of immediate supervisor), etc.
    * Whom to contact and when about questions and/or application for
      the position.
    * Deadline for application and start date for the work.

    I realize there are probably other desiderata, but this should help
those out there looking for jobs.

    I am afraid the policy will remain that we will not permit job
seekers to post their resumes or pleas to the list.  However, please
note the thread and resources in the December, 2005 thread on Jobs for
some help (search for "job" on the page):

    http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/pipermail/coral-list/2005-December/date.html

    If anybody wants to post new resources for job seekers on this list
(e.g., thank you Virginie Fruh!), or especially a summary of all the
resources you can find, that would be most welcome.

    Thank you for your cooperation and support.

    Cheers,
    Jim

 James C. Hendee, Ph.D.
 Coral Health and Monitoring Program (CHAMP)
 Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory
 U.S. Department of Commerce
 4301 Rickenbacker Causeway
 Miami, FL  33149-1026