[Coral-List] MPA training course at University of the South pacific
dunsmore_l at usp.ac.fj
Sun Sep 28 21:47:12 EDT 2008
Dear Coral List-
The University of the South Pacific (USP), with funding and support from the
Packard Foundation, is offering a 5 week training course on Pacific Islands
Marine Managed Areas. This course will be an intensive residential course
based at the University of the South Pacific Suva campus. The course is
designed to be diverse, hands-on and interactive, drawing on the real-world
experiences of student participants. The aim is to provide participants with
a holistic 'tool-kit' of knowledge and approaches to MMA science.
The course will be project-driven, with students working collaboratively in
teams. Case studies, team projects and field trips form the basis of the
course to address these topics:
1) Uses and applications of MMAs
2) Participatory and adaptive MMA management
3) Approaches to MMA Enforcement and compliance
4) Traditional knowledge
5) Ecological and fisheries principles
6) Statistical design and data analysis
7) Biological, Socioeconomic and Governance monitoring and evaluation
8) Community-based monitoring and adaptive management
9) Decision support tools
10) Scaling up to networks of MMAs
Target Audience: The main audience for the course is people from government
departments or conservation NGOs
Attached please find an announcement and course application.
The deadline is approaching. All applications must be received by October 1
2008 for consideration.
Rikki Grober-Dunsmore, Ph.D.
Institute of Applied Sciences
University of the South Pacific
Suva, Fiji Islands
Office : (679) 323 2981
Mobile: (679) 906-5476
Unless someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better,
Its simply not.
- The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss, 1971
More information about the Coral-List