[Coral-List] corals growing on red mangrove prop roots--St. John, USVI

Eric Borneman eborneman at uh.edu
Mon Aug 3 18:17:02 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline:

Belize: numerous sites, including Rhomboid reefs, Southwater Caye,
Tobacco Caye, Twin Caye:

S siderea, S. radians, M meandrites, P astreoides, P porites, D
strigosa, M cavernosa, M ann complex spp., Agaricia spp., Scolymia,
Oculina, Tubastraea, Phyllangia, Manacina, Millepora spp., Stylaster,
Distichopora

San Salvador Bahamas: S siderea, S. radians, P astreoides, P porites,
Agaricia spp., Scolymia, Phyllangia, Manacina, Millepora spp (in a
single 45 minute snorkel)

This is what I recall or have photos of, and I think from the sites I
have seen beyond these, the amount of settlement observationally
rather depends on the location of the mangroves in terms of open water
exposure and location relative to nearby reefs.

Eric Borneman
Dept. of Biology and Biochemistry
University of Houston