[Coral-List] corals growing on red mangrove prop roots

Aisling Brady akbrady at ucalgary.ca
Tue Aug 4 12:33:55 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline,

I did my MSc on a few coral communities growing in mangrove channels
and along causeways in a mangrove-dominated habitat in north central
Cuba (Ciego d'Avila, Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo) - the mangrove
channels were fast moving water channels in the middle of dense
Rizophora mangle forests. We saw an abundance of Porites asteroides,
Porites porites, Manicina areolata, some Favia fragum, Siderastrea
radians, Millepora alcicornis, Diploria clivosa and some Eusamilia
fastigiata. We never saw any colonies growing directly on the prop
roots, but there were many less than 0.5 m away. We had a few colonies
of Scolymia and Mycetophyllia on the coral reefs in open water, but
never any in the mangrove-dominated habitats.

PhD Graduate Student
University of Calgary
Department of Biological Sciences
lab: (403) 210 5484