[Coral-List] Inquiry about yacht anchor damage to reefs

Stephanie Pendergrass Stephanie.Pendergrass at NFWF.ORG
Thu Aug 6 13:08:10 EDT 2009

I am forwarding this inquiry for information about superyacht anchor damage -- she gave me permission to share her request with the list.  Please reply to her directly at juliet at thecrewreport.com.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Stephanie Pendergrass
Assistant Director, Marine Programs
National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
From: juliet at thecrewreport.com [juliet at thecrewreport.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 6:02 AM
To: Stephanie Pendergrass
Subject: The Crew Report - Press

Dear Stephanie,

I am writing to you from The Crew Report magazine, which is a magazine that goes around the world to the crew of superyachts. I was wondering whether you would be able to help me with an article I am writing. The article is about the damage anchors of superyachts cause to underwater reefs (there was a recent incident in the Roatan National Park). It would be great if you could assist me by answering some questions and if you have any hi-res images of reefs we could publish that would also be a tremendous help.

 *   What sort of damage could a superyacht anchor do to a reef?
 *   How long would it take for a reef to recover from this damage?
 *   Do you see much evidence of reef damage from large yachts?
 *   What is the most common form of reef damage you see?
 *   Do many regions with reefs have procedures in place for yachts that anchor in a protected area?

If you can help answer any of these questions I would be most grateful.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Juliet Benning
Deputy Editor
The Crew Report

 http://www.yotcru.com

T: +44 (0)20 7924 4004
F: +44 (0)20 7924 1004

Follow us on Twitter - TheCrewReport
Please send all press releases to newsdesk at thecrewreport.com
[cid:3332314978_466597]
  Superyacht Knowledge, Information and Expertise.