[Coral-List] Job Announcement: Deep Sea Coral Research Specialist
olsone at imsg.com
Fri Aug 7 07:53:48 EDT 2009
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG, http://www.imsg.com/) is looking to hire
a Deep Sea Coral Research Specialist to work in the NOAA Fisheries
Service (NMFS) Office of Habitat Conservation (OHC), Habitat Protection
Division (HP, http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/habitat/index.html), which is
part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The
position will be located at OHC headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland.
The Deep Sea Coral Research Specialist will provide coordination across
NOAA for deep-sea coral-related matters under the NOAA Coral Reef
Conservation Program (CRCP, www.coralreef.noaa.gov/) and support NOAA
Fisheries Service implementation of the Deep Sea Coral Research and
Technology Program (DSCRTP).
Duties will focus on coordination of NOAA's deep-sea coral activities,
development of the congressionally-mandated DSCRTP; synthesis of
scientific and conservation information in scientific publications and
reports to Congress and the public; and liaison with the Regional
Fishery Management Councils, other federal agencies and stakeholders.
The contractor's duties will include but not be limited to:
* Leading coordination of and representing NMFS on NOAA's "Deep
Team" and the Deep-Sea Coral Working Group and associated program
planning and coordination.
* Coordinating the implementation of NOAA's Deep-Sea Coral
Strategic Plan and continuing the development of the Deep Sea Coral
Research and Technology Program. This includes coordinating with
researchers and managers, preparing reports, preparing briefing
* Ensuring that the program's plans are scientifically and
technically sound, that they are appropriate for the management needs,
and that the scientific and technological information produced is
reliable and adequate for regulatory purposes.
* Ensuring that approaches and lessons learned in each region
inform Program activities in all other regions.
* Leading development of the biennial Report to Congress on
Implementation of the Deep Sea Coral Research and Technology Program, in
consultation with Regional Fishery Management Councils.
* Collecting and organizing information on existing NOAA and
external research on deep-sea corals and management efforts that support
* Supporting coordination with NOAA Fisheries Service and regional
Fisheries Management Council deep-sea coral science and management
efforts; assisting in developing priorities and monitoring performance;
providing budget forecasting and preparation of funding requests.
(Occasional travel to NMFS Regions or Science Centers may be required.)
* Staffing the Interagency Board on Deep Sea Corals and other
Vulnerable Marine Ecosystems under the Joint Subcommittee on Ocean
Science and Technology and participating in planning meetings, drafting
reports and coordinating with other Federal agency representatives on
the Board's work.
* Doctoral degree (highly preferred) or masters degree with
equivalent additional experience in a relevant discipline such as marine
science, biology, marine or environmental management or policy.
* Experience conducting research or policy work relevant to
deep-sea coral or sponge ecosystems or deep-sea habitat science and
related conservation issues.
* Familiarity with issues related to fisheries management,
including management of fisheries bycatch and impacts on benthic
* Strong writing skills and experience with writing or editing
technical and/or scientific reports and manuscripts.
* Self-motivated, with strong organizational skills and attention
* Ability to work well individually and cooperatively with a range
of individuals in a complex team environment.
* Solid interpersonal and communication skills, as they will be
required to interact constructively with an array of individuals and
groups internal and external to NOAA.
* Ability to work on several projects simultaneously and to shift
priorities as needed.
* Willingness to learn new skills.
* Technical proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
* Ability to travel on a periodic basis.
* 2-3 years of program or project planning experience or research
* Experience presenting scientific research findings orally and in
writing to both scientific and general audiences.
* Familiarity with the federal fisheries management and regional
fisheries management councils.
Please send your resume, three (3) references and a cover letter
describing how your knowledge and skills fulfill the requirements of the
position to jobs at imsg.com <mailto:jobs at imsg.com> with the following
subject heading: NOA09036 - NOAA Deep-Sea Coral Research Specialist.
The vacancy announcement is open until filled.
IMSG is an equal opportunity employer.
I.M. Systems Group
olsone at imsg.com
More information about the Coral-List