[Coral-List] Book research: Species of Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Thu Aug 20 04:50:02 EDT 2009

Dear all:

I am conducting research for a book proposal on ocean conservation, with
a special emphasis on Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary in the Florida
Keys.

Much of the narrative will focus on the life of the reef over the course
of a year. My challenge, however, is to find characters (species) and
story lines to focus on during the course of a typical year on the reef.

I have compiled a list of about 900 species that have been identified as
present in and around Looe Key Reef. I compiled my initial lists from
Bohnsack et al., 2002, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration 1980. Higher level taxonomy follows the Integrated
Taxonomic Information System (ITIS), while revisions to the Bohnsack and
NOAA species lists were made according to information in ITIS, the World
Register of Marine Species (WoRMS), AlgaeBase, the World Porifera
Database, and Richards 2004.

I would appreciate your help in checking my list for errors, and in
suggesting candidates that have been studied enough, preferably in Looe
Key specifically, but at least from elsewhere in the Keys or the
surrounding region, for me to find sufficient material for a narrative
description of the reef's ecology.  The full list is available at:
http://fuzzo.com/LooeKey/LooeKey_Main.htm

Thank ya'll for any help you can provide.

REFERENCES

Bohnsack, James A., Adriana Y. Cantillo, and Maria J. Bello, eds. 2002.
Resource Survey of Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary 1983. Silver
Spring, MD: U.S. Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration, Coastal and Estuarine Data Archaeology and
Rescue Program.

Guiry, M.D., and G.M. Guiry. 2009. AlgaeBase. World-wide electronic
publication, National University of Ireland, Galway.
http://www.algaebase.org (Last accessed on 19 August 2009).

National Museum of Natural History. 2009. Integrated Taxonomic
Information System (ITIS). http://www.itis.gov (Last accessed 19 August
2009).

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 1980. Final
environmental impact statement prepared for the proposed Looe Key
National Marine Sanctuary. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Commerce,
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Office of Coastal Zone
Management.

Richards, Benjamin. 2004. Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Species
List. http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/sanctuary_resources/specieslist.pdf
(Last accessed on 19 August 2009).

Society for the Management of Electronic Biodiversity Data. 2009. The
World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS). http://www.marinespecies.org
(Last accessed on 19 August 2009)

Van Soest, R.W.M, N. Boury-Esnault, J.N.A. Hooper, K. Rützler, N.J. de
Voogd, B. Alvarez, E. Hajdu, A.B. Pisera, J. Vacelet, R. Manconi, C.
Schoenberg, D. Janussen, K.R. Tabachnick, M. Klautau. 2008. World
Porifera database. http://www.marinespecies.org/porifera (Last accessed
on 19 August 2009).

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  7471 Brook Way Court     | Fax:   (804) 559-9787
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: dave at fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan