[Coral-List] Copenhagen flop: article raises serious question

Duquesnel, Janice Janice.Duquesnel at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Aug 27 08:09:00 EDT 2009

There is another issue that needs to be considered regarding planting bamboo
as a solution for offsetting carbon impacts on corals. Planting species
outside of their historic range means we deal with exotic species invasions
in both uplands and wetlands habitats. Florida's Exotic Pest Plant Council
ranks the most invasive species as Category I and II species, and those
become the priority for state and federal funding for removal. Exotic species
disrupt ecosystem function and displace native plant and animal species and I
do not believe that anyone should be promoting the random planting of a
species without taking this into consideration. Our upland ecosystems are
critical to the health of our coral reefs and efforts should be made to
protect both ecosystems. We have had to deal with invasive bamboo in some of
our state parks and it is not an easy species to control.

Janice Duquesnel
Florida Park Service

The Department of Environmental

Protection values your feedback as a customer. DEP Secretary Michael W. Sole is committed to continuously assessing and

improving the level and quality of services provided to you. Please take a few minutes to comment on the quality of

service you received. Copy the url below to a web browser to complete the DEP