[Coral-List] impact of snorkelers feeding fish

Dean Jacobson atolldino at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 22:05:12 EST 2009

Brian's observations interest me, and makes me wonder how widespread this "unnatural" fish behavior has become.  I have witnessed fish feeding on Guam and Palau, but not on my home on Majuro, RMI (or other local atolls).  In Guam, snorkeling near Piti craters and in Tumon Bay, I simply had to wiggle my fingers to get Damsels to nibble on them (a good assay, I think, for fish behavior modification from tourist feedings).  Admittedly kind of fun, but troubling from an ecological perspective.

I would welcome reports from other reefs areas.

Cheers,
Dean Jacobson
College of the Marshall Islands