[Coral-List] Climate talks in the 1970s

RainbowWarriorsInternational southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 20 16:59:11 EST 2009

Dear Coral Listers,

I would like to make some points to clarify and refine the discussion at hand.

Having studied chemistry for one year before switching to mathematics at Leyden University in the Netherlands in 1978, I clearly recall the mandatory class called "Scheikunde en Maatschappij" (English translation: Chemistry and Society) in which the problems of water and air pollution caused by chemical compounds (acid rain, depletion of ozone layer etc.) were brought to the fore together with quite a few issues still very much current today.

One thing was expressly imprinted upon us during this class: because of the lack of rigid theories backed by mathematical modeling, most of the conjectures about emergent issues such as global warming and greenhouse gases we were told were just that.

When I switched to mathematics after one year, giving up hopes of seeing the Dutch academic moratorium on genetic engineering (recombinant DNA technology) lifted any time soon, I soon became aware of the limitations of mathematical modeling at the time.

Real computing power was restricted to a few academic institutions around the world fortunate enough to have access to supercomputing power.

I saw computer science and personal computers emerge in the early eighties and one thing became clear to most of us mathematicians: computing power and computer science would rapidly change the face of modern scientific endeavors.

One popular document at the liberal Leyden University popped up at many faculties in classes as a subject of discussion: The Report of the Club of Rome.

A new paradigm, being scenario thinking based on mathematical theories relying on probability theory coupled to mathematical modeling was in vogue.

Now getting back to the discussion at hand in this thread. The question of the level of consensus backed by solid science in the early 70's is flawed precisely because of the lack of computer science, the level of available mathematical theories used in advanced modeling in scenario theories and most of all the lack of widely accessible computing power and widely available data repositories (the Internet appeared in the late 90's).

In my humble opinion this discussion about the 70]s is thus quite irrelevant.

NOW is when we have advanced mathematical theories, computing power, open access and interchange of data repositories through the Internet, which make the state and quality of climate science a current issue.

And based on all these currently available tools current climate science can be said to be thorough in its methodologies and use of technologies.

That there is room for improvement upon some of the mathematical modeling issues which are at the heart of the dispute between global warming and anti global warming advocates can be debated.

What should be made very clear to the general non-scientific public is the extent of impact on the climate created by humans (anthropogenic global warming) in the overall global warming scenarios which also factor in all natural and cosmic processes leading to global warming or global cooling, including natural and cosmic catastrophic events which impact our atmosphere.

The UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol introduce not only guidelines and instruments for scientific methodologies but also instruments for climate change mitigation and adaptation.

What has become VERY clear from the chaos at Copenhagen with tens of thousands of government delegates representing parties and delegates from accredited observer organizations all vying for media attention is that the actual shortlist of issues to make clear to the general public was lost.

And the politicians at Copenhagen hailing from large developed countries like e.g. the US, China and Canada keenly aware of the fact that the science of climate change is beyond the grasp of the common man and their electoral base back home chose to talk in terms of vested interests.

The science is there backed by a wide body of evidence and solid modeling, now can we please boil down the issue to two pages. one with the problems and one with the solutions and make this widely known to the general public who must make the politicians commit to tackling the climate change issues in accordance with the recommendations of the scientific community?

Milton Ponson, President
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
(Rainbow Warriors International) Tel. +297 568 5908
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
Email: southern_caribbean at yahoo.com    http://www.rainbowwarriors.net (Global)
To unite humanity in a global society dedicated to a sustainable way of life