[Coral-List] More Run up for Copenhagen

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Sun Dec 20 10:05:11 EST 2009

I don't know, Gene.  Most of the concern over cooling back then was --
as others have pointed out -- that particulates (pollution) would offset
the effects of warming from increased carbon dioxide.

No reputable scientist, even any reputable stoners of the 70s,
questioned that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas and that it's
concentration in the atmosphere would affect global temperature.

If more people (i.e., the public and policymakers) understood the
Stefan-Boltzmann law, I suspect more we would have had a lot less talk
and a lot more action on reducing greenhouse gas emissions by now.

Physics generally rules, like it or not.

Dave

Eugene Shinn wrote:
> Young coral-listers will appreciate the mood around 40 years ago. How
> quickly scientists change.Watch for climate guru in the third video.
> Gene
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ndHwW8psR8
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tokbiZW3gVY
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nprY2jSI0Ds

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  7471 Brook Way Court     | Fax:   (804) 559-9787
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: dave at fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan