[Coral-List] bleaching and acidification

Tim Wijgerde t.wijgerde at coralscience.org
Wed Feb 18 14:00:29 EST 2009

->
Dear all,

why not put corals in 5 small chambers at pH levels of 7,4;7,6;7,8 and 8.2
and measure calcification. Next, subject the same corals to these values
for 3 months or more and see how they grow. Maybe calcification rates are
more or less equal in all conditions (ample HCO3-) but net accretion
correlates negatively with lower pH levels (decreased arag sat, so more
dissolution). I noticed some gaps about this in the literature. Mix this
with different temperatures in a larger setup and the data would be very
interesting. Maybe combine this with some microsensor measurements to
correlate calicoblastic pH levels with decreased ambient pH (which is
usually around pH 9 during the day at ambient pH 8.2) and we could
distinguish between gross accretion and dissolution. It will probably cost
significantly more ATP (energy) to allow the Ca2+/proton pumps to keep
high calicoblastic fluid pH levels at low ambient pH.
 p.s. Dr. Muir, you will
find arag stat maps in this paper for example by Prof. Hoegh-Guldberg;
DOI: 10.1126/science.1152509
 Science 318, 1737 (2007);
 O.
Hoegh-Guldberg, et al.

 best

 tim

Op Wo, 18 februari, 2009 18:00, schreef
coral-list-request at coral.aoml.noaa.gov:
> Send Coral-List mailing
list submissions to

	coral-list-request at coral.aoml.noaa.gov

> You can reach
the person managing the list at

	coral-list-owner at coral.aoml.noaa.gov

> When replying,
please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than
"Re: Contents of Coral-List digest..."

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: bleaching and
acidification (Paul Muir)
>    2. CPCe V3.6 is available (Kevin
Kohler)
>    3. CPCe V3.6 is available (Kevin Kohler)

4. Black cyanobacterisponge, Terpios hishinota,	outbreak in

 coral reefs and geographic information needed (Allen Chen)

5. post doc position (St?phanie Reynaud (CSM))

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:05:01
+1000
<paul.muir at qm.qld.gov.au>
coral-list" <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>

	<BB9E9CCBC5617F4B9FB988E8553C377D238BC1 at mtqfp02.mtq.qm.qld.gov.au>

> Are there maps of aragonite saturation/ carbonate
equilibrium for ocean
> areas? On a trip to the Indian Ocean in
2005 we were quite struck by
> differences in apparent growth
rates of Acroporas after the '98
> bleaching event at different
locations. In the Maldives growth after
> mass mortality was
apparently rapid  (ie new colonies 2- 3m diameter)
> while at a
similar latitude in the Seychelles the  maximum colony size
> of
Acroporas was approx 25 cm. We did wonder if these apparent

differences in growth rates were partly due to differences in aragonite
> saturation since both locations appeared quite similar in terms of
being
> oceanic reefs with minimal human impact.
>

> Dr. Paul Muir
> Museum of Tropical
Queensland,
> 78-104 Flinders St,
> Townsville QLD 4810
Australia.
> ph. 07 47 260 642  fax. 07 47 212 093  mob. 0407 117
998

paularwen at gmail.com