[Coral-List] bleaching and acidification

William Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 08:57:58 EST 2009

Hello Paul,
Of the many reefs I have examined (and surveyed with direct measurements,
video and stills) the length and breadth of Maldives before and after 1998 I
can think of only a few locations featuring large tabulate Acropora colonies
as of 2005. Barring the rare colony that survived in otherwise devastated
reefs, these were generally on reefs that I know enjoyed low mortality in
1998. I did sample a few reefs with numerous large colonies (some of which
acquired local fame because of this) where I could not be sure whether I was
looking at survivors or new growth. In any case these are not representative
of the whole system. In most locations mortality was high, the rate of
successful settlement was low, and growth was not spectacular. There were
exceptions at the level of reefs and even large portions of a few atolls
where either survival was high, or recruitment and growth were accelerated,
or both. Whatever the reasons, these exceptions are intriguing and
potentially informative.