[Coral-List] Permanent transects: how to

Lindsay Sullivan lindssullivan at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 08:35:04 EST 2009

Dear Coral Listers,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post about LITs, it was extremely helpful and a far greater response than I ever imagined!

I wonder if anyone could offer advice regarding permanent transects. I would like to set up permanent markers to enable quadrats or tape surveys to be repeated, perhaps every six months, to monitor changes on the reef through time. It would be interesting to hear what has worked for others in terms of how to decide where to place markers, what to use to mark positions and label coral colonies, and anything else that may be helpful to know before attempting this.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Lindsay