[Coral-List] White Plague mass mortality in the Caribbean

Keven Reed reedkc at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 12:36:43 EST 2009

Dear all,

    Though this doesn't provide the data for the correlations being considered in the thread below, it may be of interest to some coral-listers that Acropora palmata colonies on the southeastern shore of Cuba (Tom Goureau mentions the northern shore of Cuba below), outside the mouth of Guantanamo Bay, were very healthy looking at the two to four meter depth (no pox or bands) in March 2003.

    The largest colony I observed on scuba at that time had a branch spread exceeding 3 meters (ten feet)!

Keven

Keven Reed, O.D.
Orange Park, Florida