[Coral-List] Securing markers on permanent transects

Chris_Ryan at URSCorp.com Chris_Ryan at URSCorp.com
Wed Feb 25 18:51:29 EST 2009

Hi

I've used galvanised and stainless steel star pickets to mark permanent
transects on more than 200 50m transects over the last ten years or so on
the GBR and the North West Shelf, Australia.  If you use 1.6m long
starpickets and a star picket driver, you can out then into the seabed
somewhere between 600 - 1000 mm.  They rarely ever come loose, whereas
round pieces of steel often do.  In shallow, high energy environments,
there appears to be significantly more corrosion, which means that they
will have to be replaced every now and again, or stainless should be
preferred (costs more though).  I've used cattle tags as markers on stakes
to mark corals - they rapidly get covered with algae (including
corallline) which can be removed by scraping a knife over them (although
this will scrape off anything written on them). The tags usually have a
indented number which can be tallied with your own descriptors.  I've
avoided using floats tied to the substrate as they usually end up tangled
around adjacent corals, and unless quite heavy, break off anyway.  In a
shallow reef flat environment, I don't think floats would last more than a
couple of tidal cycles.  If your transects are laid out straight to begin
with, you should be able to replace any missing star pickets in roughly
the same place by attaching your measuring tape to the pickets that are
there and extrapolating.  Granted, they won't end up in exactly the same
place, but I'd doubt that it would make much difference on a long term
project as it is unlikely that you are actually measuring the same line
through the reef flat every time (due to tape movement) and the typical
power to detect change using permanent transects is somewhat limited.

I'd encourage you to keep your monitoring program going as there are so
few long term projects.  You would still have to replace markers every now
and again, but if you carry a few star pickets and a star picket driver,
than it isn't such a big job.

Good luck

Regards,
Chris Ryan
Senior Associate Marine Biologist

URS Australia
Level 16, 240 Queen Street
Brisbane, QLD, 4000, Australia
Phone: +61 7 3243 2111          Fax: +61 7 3243 2199
mailto:chris_ryan at urscorp.com or visit our website at
http://www.ap.urscorp.com

 ---> Please consider our environment and think before you print - thank
you <---

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you receive this
message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,
distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy
the e-mail and any attachments or copies.

coral-list-request at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Sent by: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
25/02/2009 10:49 PM
Please respond to
coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov

coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
cc

Subject
Coral-List Digest, Vol 6, Issue 30

> End of Coral-List Digest, Vol 6, Issue 28

Message: 5