[Coral-List] Report Of Lionfish off Colombia

Eesat Atikkan atikkanuwn at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 15:57:28 EST 2009

Recently one of my students (Luis Lora) went diving in Colombia (First two weeks, Dec 08)
He emailed me a picture of a lionfish - He contends that the observation was at the following location, as per his email:

"I don't know if you got this: location of the area where the lionfish was observed
Providencia and Santa Catalina islands are located between the coordinates 13° 17' y 13° 32´ N y 81° 17´y 81° 26´W, approximately 600 Km.. From Cartagena de Indias, a major Colombian tourist city, 200 Km. away of Central America, only 20 minutes flight from San Andrés island in the Colombian Caribbean.

Alojamiento Old Providence y Santa Catalina"

That observation would put the range of the 'lionfish' further south than the 6 Jan 09 update of the USGS Lionfish Sightings map: http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=963

E. Esat Atikkan