[Coral-List] Cooling reefs to prevent bleaching

Keshavmurthy Shashank iamshanky15 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 20:38:33 EST 2009

Dear Tom, James and Listers
It has been an interesting discussion...apologies for diving in a bit
late.....

It is true that pumping deep sea water to surface will have problems
of its own...
While in Japan, my lab was involved in Deep sea water research...
As you all might know...Japan has been exploiting Deep sea water for
its clean and nutrient rich waters and in Past 5 years, the Deep Sea
water consumer products industry has catapulted in cities like Kochi.
(that is the reason why Kochi University in involved deeply in Deep
Sea research!!)

The deep sea water pumping facility is situated in North of Kochi,
almost end of Kuroshio Current and site for algal blooms....although
not very frequent....

But, the research carried out by one of the students in my previous
lab showed that after Deep sea water pumping facility started getting
water form the below and after processing extra and processed water is
released out into the Ocean next to the facility, there was increase
in bloom forming dinoflagellates (including toxic) due to high
nutrient concentration of the water being released out....

His lab studies showed that even after diluting the deep sea water,
the growth of toxic bloom forming dinoflagellates was more compared to
that in normal seawater.... (I hope his paper will be published soon!!)

If this is carried out to cool coral reefs, apart form macro-algal
increase, we have to face potential toxic dinoflagellates blooms over
coral reefs and altogether a different problem.....

Cheers!!!
Shashank

Whether our efforts are, or not, favored by life, let us be able to
say, when we come near the great goal,I have done what I could - Louis
Pasteur

Role of Infinitely Small in Nature is Infinitely Large - Louis Pasteur
Keshavmurthy Shashank
Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Dr. Chen's lab
Biodiversity Research Center, Academia Sinica (RCBAS)
128 Academia Road Sec. 2, Nankang
Taipei 115 Taiwan, ROC.
My WebPage: http://web.mac.com/coralresearch/iWeb/shashank/Welcome.html
Lab WebPage: http://coral.biodiv.tw/Default.aspx