[Coral-List] American Samoa's Governor Purchases Hybrid Car

Jeremy Goldberg jeremy.goldberg at doc.as
Wed Jan 14 22:34:33 EST 2009

Hello all,

I wanted to pass along the short press release below concerning our
local Government's ongoing effort to address the climate crisis.  I
believe that this is a fantastic accomplishment and I hope that others
will draw inspiration (and maybe some ideas) from the update below.

Please feel free to pass this along to anyone and everyone.

All the best,
Jeremy

Coral Reef Initiative Coordinator
Resource Management Division
Department of Commerce
Pago Pago, American Samoa
684.633.5155 (phone)
684.633.4195 (fax)

Governor's Coral Reef Advisory Group

For immediate release on January 14, 2009

For more information, please contact the Coral Reef Advisory Group at
info at doc.as or phone Jeremy Goldberg at 684.633.5155

American Samoa's Governor Becomes First Head of Government to Own Hybrid Car

American Samoa may be composed of a few small islands, but it has big
ambitions for international efforts to combat the impacts of global
climate change and its associated sea level rise.  The territory's
honorable Governor, Togiola Tulafono, has become the first head of
government to drive a hybrid vehicle for his daily commute to and from
his office, and travel around the island, when he recently purchased a
Toyota Prius.

The Governor says that the hybrid vehicle is "a continuation of
American Samoa's dedication to protecting the environment and caring
for our island paradise.  Because our islands are small, we are
extremely vulnerable to the devastating effects of climate change.
The choices that an individual makes to minimize his or her impact on
the planet makes a big difference, especially to our precious coral
reefs."

A recent report has found that the world has 'effectively lost' 19% of
coral reefs since 1950 and that another 15% are in a 'Critical' state
with severe losses possible within the next 10 years.  Climate change
is one of the main reasons for this deteriorating state and although
American Samoa's contribution to climate change and CO2 emissions
worldwide is virtually nothing when compared to industrial leaders
such as China or India, the Governor hopes to set a positive example
for others around the region and the world.  His new vehicle has been
ranked by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as the most
fuel-efficient car sold in the United States and generates 70 percent
fewer smog-forming emissions than the average new vehicle.

"Climate change is happening, and severe impacts are now noticeable
throughout the Pacific islands, particularly our coasts and coral
reefs. While the problem appears overwhelming, together we can make a
difference.   However, urgent action is needed and I encourage other
leaders to immediately address the climate crisis however possible."