[Coral-List] de'ath et al on coralscience.org

Richard Dunne RichardPDunne at aol.com
Sat Jan 17 03:10:52 EST 2009

Dear Tim and Coral Listers

OCAEN ACIDIFICATION AND SEA TEMPERATURE WARMING - THEIR ROLES IN
DECREASING CORAL CALCIFICATION

Your website commentary of De’ath et al.’s paper focuses largely on the
problems of ocean acidification.The authors were MUCH more circumspect,
since they were unable to ascribe the declining calcification to any
specific environmental signal (either temperature or seawater acidity).
This is important because we still need scientific evidence of any
causative link.

A subsequent study (Tanzil et al. 2009 Coral Reefs – DOI
10.1007/s00338-008-0457-5) from South Thailand on reefs in warmer waters
closer to the equator (7 deg N) also demonstrated a similar decline in
calcification, which like the GBR study was due to decreased linear
extension and not to any changes in bulk density. Whilst the data
available to Tanzil et al. for ocean acidification was sparse and
incomplete, nonetheless no obvious link existed, but the authors were
able to demonstrate that the decrease in linear extension was associated
with a significant long term increase in sea temperature (R squared
between 10 and 30%).

The common finding in both studies, that there was no change in bulk
density, may also be important, for it implies that whilst these corals
may be growing less slowly, they are still producing robust skeletons,
although an earlier study by Cooper et al. (2008 Global Change Biology
14:529-538) had found a small decrease (6%). As Atkinson & Cuet (2008
MEPS 373:249–256) point out, we are still a long way from understanding
how changes in ocean acidity may affect coral calcification,
particularly in natural conditions. At the moment whilst rising sea
temperatures clearly seem to be reducing the growth of corals, there is
still much work to be done to demonstrate whether the same is true for
changes in ocean acidity.

ABSTRACT OF TANZIL et al.: Of the few studies that have examined in situ
coral growth responses to recent climate change, none have done so in
equatorial waters subject to relatively high sea temperatures (annual
mean >27degC). This study compared the growth rate of Porites lutea from
eight sites at Phuket, South Thailand between two time periods (December
1984–November 1986 and December 2003–November 2005). There was a
significant decrease in coral calcification (23.5%) and linear extension
rates (19.4–23.4%) between the two sampling periods at a number of
sites, while skeletal bulk density remained unchanged. Over the last 46
years, sea temperatures (SST) in the area have risen at a rate of
0.161degC per decade (current seasonal temperature range 28–30degC) and
regression analysis of coral growth data is consistent with a link
between rising temperature and reduced linear extension in the order of
46– 56% for every 1 degC rise in SST. The apparent sensitivity of linear
extension in P. lutea to increased SST suggests that corals in this part
of the Andaman Sea may already be subjected to temperatures beyond their
thermal optimum for skeletal growth.

Richard Dunne