[Coral-List] SPPI Report

Tom Lo tolope at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 11:49:11 EST 2009

Hi listers.

I don't agree to call opponents in science to those who think different, or
interpret in a different manner the same proofs we get. I think
that debating anxiusly with this people for our point of view to be accepted
just makes wider the gap (which is not a favorable situation from a
political point of view, where political groups could go after the best
economic proposal). No one can be sure that the interpretation made from a
resarch is the absolute truth (i.e. previous messages from Gene and
Lister's about a journalist's interpretations of Ove statements), and I
think this also applies for the GCC controversial situation. Every paper we
publish or word-idea we give is our *bona fide* contribution to science and
to society, but taking the risk that our contributions can eventually be
refuted.

Tha actual atmospheric CO2 levels, the intensity and magnitude of oceanic
and meteorological events, the glacial melting by higher T°,... ; lead us to
question about the future of nature and human kind. The issue is not just to
keep asking about the cause-consequences and relation between this facts
(which always is gona be a controversial issue, even if there are a lot of
scientific basis), but to look for what we could do about it to
adapt and mitigate this situation. If the GCC is a fact we must take action
now, but if not, we could keep with our life style. The bottom line is that
"maybe" we won't have a second chance to find an answer, so modifying our
life style is the minor risk we could get. And this is mainly a political
issue.

Regards,

Tomás