[Coral-List] Recognizing IYOR 2008

Anthony J. Hooten ajh at environmentservices.com
Wed Jan 21 14:17:30 EST 2009

Dear Coral Listers,

As we move into 2009 with a renewed sense of hope and purpose for the
health of our oceans, I am writing to briefly look back at the past
year---one in which most---if not all--of us on the Coral List recognize
as having been the International Year of the Reef (www.iyor.org).   It
is certainly fair to say that we can all continue to count our blessings
and appreciation for the great job that Jim Hendee and company continue
to do by supporting us with the Coral List's service.  It is amazing to
see such a simple technology (by today's measure) that remains so widely
used and valuable after such a long time. In addition to this, however,
I believe it is appropriate for us to take a moment to also recognize
the tremendous effort and dedication that one person has invested in the
International Year of the Reef over the course of 2008 and even into the
future.   With support from US NOAA and the US State Department, Francis
Staub has energetically served as the IYOR International Coordinator. It
is an understatement that Francis performed a tireless job in
coordinating information and activities for the International Year of
the Reef.  While such a large undertaking is clearly the result of many
dedicated hands (including many national IYOR coordinators, dedicated
activists and the 11^th ICRS, but too many to attempt to list by name
here), it was no small measure---through Francis's energy, goodwill and
persistence in keeping many informed about IYOR activities and events,
helping people to connect with one another and sharing information
across a broad spectrum---that IYOR 2008 can be considered a successful
campaign.  It is clear that a single year's designation does not make up
for the ongoing challenges before our coral reef community of practice
to continue to provide credible information, raise awareness, pound
drums, and positively influence attitudes and behaviors about the value
and importance of coral reefs to our future.  But it is fair to say that
we as a community are further along thanks to the tremendous
coordinating effort that Francis performed on our behalf.  I hope that
all Coral Listers will join in thanking him for his dedication and
service in helping to raise a higher profile for coral reefs through the
IYOR.

Sincerely,

Andy Hooten

--
Andy Hooten Synthesis Panel Executive Secretary and U.S. Coordinator
Global Coral Reef Targeted Research Program c/o AJH, Environmental