[Coral-List] Lionfish in Puerto Rico

Hernandez Edwin coral_giac at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 14:24:22 EST 2009

Hola, Steve et al.

According to local fishermen in Culebra Island, 27 km east of Puerto Rico, when some of theme were confronted with lionfish pictures they claimed having seen the fish for the past 10-15 years or so around Los Corchos and La Puso reefs, east of Culebra, particularly in deeper waters, 80-140 feet. They described their shape, color, size, behavior, and preferred reef habitat perfectly matching the known characteristics of the species. These are the northeasternmost coral reefs of PR state waters, and are located several km west-northwest of Red Hind Bank, St. Thomas, USVI. I have not personally seen any of them yet.

Regards.

Edwin

Edwin A. Hernández-Delgado, Ph.D.
Affiliate Researcher

University of Puerto Rico
Department of Biology
Center for Applied Tropical Ecology and Conservation
Coral Reef Research Group
P.O. Box 23360
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00931-3360

Tel (787) 764-0000, x-2009