[Coral-List] guidelines for detergents & fertilisers, etc.

Karl & Michele michka at fellenius.net
Sat Jan 31 20:13:43 EST 2009

Coral listers,

Has anyone come across some practical guidelines in regards to the use of
detergents and fertilisers in residential (and resort) areas in close
proximity to coral reefs? There is a lot of references on the web and in
publications related to toxicity levels and so on, and also recommended
general practices. But what I'm looking for specifically are examples where
practical guidelines have been put in place in terms of a residential
covenant or restrictive agreement on do's and dont's on waterfont lots (and
recommended products) in either a legally binding document and/or in
subsequent explanatory guidelines. Land leasees ideally need to know what
they can and can't do in environmentally progressive residential
subdivisions before they lease. If the regs/policies/guidelines link to
actual toxicities as the rationale for them then that's very ideal, but my
search has not turned up much of that.

If your suggestions include documents that contain other do's and dont's
outside of detergents and fertilisers then so much the better. The other
significant areas are of course black & grey water, energy, and waterfront
modification in terms of excavated tidepools, etc. -- but most of that we
already have good references on.

The reef in question is very high energy and on an very exposed side of the
Efate here in Vanuatu. A reef flat extending about 100m and then a reef
crest at 5m and a reef slope with a rather pronounced spur and groove
structure. Stony corals are mainly compact submassive and tabulate Acropora
colonies, getting more branching and larger tables with depth. Soft corals
are mainly sarcophyton, lobophytum, and sinularia. The reef is pristine
based on baseline survey results. Permanent monitoring sites have been
installed. There will be a residential and resort environmental management
system in place over time.

>From what I understand the issue is not so much about what is toxic to reefs
as to the concentration and rate of discharge and distance to the reef.
Enough of anything is toxic. It makes it very difficult to put into
practical terms especially when it also depends on so many environmental
factors such as swells, currents, tides -- and of course against a back-drop
of ocean acidification and climate change. But precaution is the
approach/principle that will guide development there, so while such detail
would be good I am only cautiously optimistic that specific rates, etc. has
been applied with much research or application behind it in reef areas. But
there must be some case studies.

I'm hoping this would be of use to others on the list as well, so please
reply to the whole list unless you feel that its not of broader interest.
Note that any attachments would be removed from the list mail-out so please
send those separately to me.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or documents.

Karl

p.s. If anything you send is proprietory information, please let me know and
I will abide by whatever terms you specify.

**
Karl Fellenius, Director &
Michele Dricot, Manager

Vaughani Shores Vanuatu