[Coral-List] Photoquadrat

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Thu Jul 16 20:32:07 EDT 2009

May I recommend that you include in each photo a frame with a scale on it?  I made a PVC support with a frame on the bottom (like a flattened pyramid) that supported the camera at the correct distance above the bottom to always include the complete frame.  This way there is no ambiguity as to area included in the photo.  If you switch cameras or lenses and want to photograph the same area you will need to adjust the height of the structure.  This is not my idea but pretty much the 'industry' standard when I started doing quantitative UW photographs back in mid-90s.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Coral Reef Research Program, Center for Marine Science
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin K. Moss Lane
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel:  (910)962-2362; fax: (910)962-2410;  cell:  (910)200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta