[Coral-List] Beach erosion burried corals in Lombok gilis.

Imam Bachtiar bachtiar.coral at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 21:28:26 EDT 2009

Dear John and others,
Thanks very much for your attention on my posting. I would give more detail
about your comments on the erosion of the gilis.
1) It was not very clear about factor retaining the sand previously. There
were some mangrove trees growing in few places as the islands covered by
white sandy beaches. In 1980s many of the mangrove were cut down by local
people. In 1990s, the remaining mangrove are suffered from the erosion and
then the roots are taken out. There was never be any predominance seagrass
in the currently erroded beach, but some algal assemblages was growing in
the sandy bootom reef flat. I am not sure whether these would explain
sand-retaining factors.
2) I have not closely examine the sand, but I think the sand is composed of
a mixture of corals, mollusc, and halimeda. The erosion takes place both in
fished and un-fished (snorkelling) area, that fishing may not be a
contributing factor.
I want to give a good recommendation for the government but I am not sure
yet what is the best one.
Sincerelly,
Imam