[Coral-List] Coral Transplant

Don Baker reefpeace at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 17:17:10 EDT 2009

Hi Rodney:

Though there are a few good publications out there on this issue, one of the first efforts that I personally undertook when starting this type of work was to fully investigate the damaged reef itself for evidence / indication of the corals that used to thrive there in the first place. Oftentimes, corals are transplanted to reefs in which they never grew there successfully.

Another point is to try to help along a reef with what I call the "First Blood" types (Acropora, Pocillopora,Montipora...) [if you in the Pacific that is] These coral types seem to be the first ones to successfully settle on disturbed reef areas, bridge works over newly dredged out reef platforms, etc.

R/Don

Alternate Email: donbjr95 at hotmail.com

"Dedication and motivated direction in achieving specific goals related to the care and protection of living things is not necessarily a guaranteed formula for success.  Success is, more often than not, a direct result of a person’s passion in addition to the above formula." [Don Baker, Marine Conservationist/Activist, 1998]