[Coral-List] Coral polyp identification (organism of uknown identity

Donald Potts potts at biology.ucsc.edu
Fri Jun 19 17:58:21 EDT 2009

Dear Diego,

This is almost certainly an Octocorallian polyp, although I can't take the
identification to a lowewr taxonomic level. The internal structure seems
to be well developed, so I would expect it to be attached to a solid
substrate - either on the sea floor, or attached to floating algae, wood,
plastic or other material.

The specimen is very well preserved, and the image is excellent. How large
is it? and was the sample taken at the surface, in the water column, or on
the bottom?

Regards

Don
Donald C. Potts

Director - CDELSI
    (Center for the Dynamics and Evolution of the Land-Sea Interface)

Professor of Biology
       & Institute of Marine Sciences
    Office:  A408 Earth & Marine Sciences Building
    Lab:     D480 Earth & Marine Sciences Building

Office: (831) 459-4417            MAIL ADDRESS:
Lab:    (831) 459-5063            A316 Earth & Marine Sciences Building
Fax:    (831) 459-4882            University of California
Cell:   (831) 435-9323            Santa Cruz
Email:  potts at biology.ucsc.edu    California  95064  U.S.A.