[Coral-List] Coral polyp identification (organism of unknownidentity)

Shimrit Perkol-Finkel Shimrit.Finkel at unibo.it
Thu Jun 25 13:44:58 EDT 2009

Diego,

Another thought for you: while working at Prof. Y. Benayahu’s lab in
Tel-Aviv University we used to conduct numerous settlement experiments of
soft corals and sometimes (specifically when working with the species
Heteroxenia fuscescens) we observed a planular stage somewhere between a
planula and a first polyp (we called it polynula). Those guys looked a bit
like the specimen in your photo.

Hope this helps!

Shimrit

--

Shimrit Perkol-Finkel, Ph.D.

Scienze Ambientali, Università di Bologna,

Via S. Alberto, 163, I-48100 Ravenna, Italy.

Phone: +39 0544 937302 Fax: +39 0544 937303

Mobile: +39 3492 362500 e-mail: sperkol at gmail.com