[Coral-List] illegal harvesting of coral

Eric Borneman eborneman at uh.edu
Tue Mar 3 14:16:03 EST 2009

Charles:

Despite my collaborations with USFWS in helping identify seizures,
there are indeed issues. I had to write a letter to the Dallas office
when a shipment of clams for a local store was seized because the
byssal threads were attached to commercially available crushed coral
substrate where they were being held prior to export. I explained that
while this material was coral, and in some cases could be recognized,
that any of the enforcement personnel could go to their local PetCo
and purchase it by the bag.

On the other hand, I empathize with enforcement as they are
understaffed and their responsibilities go far beyond being expert
taxonomists in all species in trade, especially corals, and even
moreso coral rubble/gravel.

Furthermore, there are cases where legitimate seizures of coral rock
(and coral species) have occurred and for good reason, regardless of
the amount or the scope in relation to other industries. I don't think
it is a wise position to not take responsibility for unethical or
illegal behavior based on the scale of the infraction. No, the
aquarium trade is not a major factor causing the decline of coral
reefs in most cases. No, this is not a lot of material removed by
comparison with burned limestone for betel or for construction, nor
does it exempt the aquarium trade for being responsible, legal,
sustainable and conservation-minded in its actions, whatever slice of
the pie they possess in regards to coral reef threats.

In this particular case, if coral is exported from a nation where ANY
coral export is prohibited, it really doesn't matter. Coral chunks, if
recognizable and not fossil, are included in CITES and subject to
applicable laws.

So perspective all around is a good idea.
Eric Borneman
University of Houston
Department of Biology and Biochemistry
4800 Calhoun Rd.