[Coral-List] Siderastrea siderea loss

Kahlil Hassanali kahlil_hassanali at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 4 13:30:01 EST 2009

I have recently completed a study re-evaluating the status of several Tobagonian reefs using a methodology similar to studies that were last conducted in the 1980s. Among other things, what I have observed from the data is that the percentage cover of S. siderea, in particular, has noticably declined in several reef areas. The large time gap between evaluation does not allow me to comment on the manner of this decline. Has anyone noticed considerable loss of Siderastrea anywhere else in the Caribbean, be it chronic or sudden, that may shed any light on the Tobagonian situation? Dark spots disease is present on some of the reefs but is not prevalent.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.