[Coral-List] climate change

Douglas Fenner dfenner at blueskynet.as
Fri Mar 6 03:31:56 EST 2009

Eugene,
    Oh, I think I am guilty of starting this round by sending the message
about the website WorldNetDaily's article on the petition with 31,000
signatures.  Might be like religion for some such that they won't change
their beliefs no matter what the evidence is.  But I've learned a lot
already and hope others have, and ostensibly we're scientists and base our
opinions at least partly on the evidence.  And I'm hoping that there are a
fair number of people out there who do base their views on the evidence.
Hopefully this is more of a vigorous debate than a minor war.  I lived in
Australia for 6 years, and if you see parliamentary debate on TV, you
realize that Americans aren't exposed to vigorous debate very often.
      Speaking of evidence, your friend is correct that Wikipedia is not
itself an expert source, though its writers may consult expert sources.  For
me, I was able to read the Wikipedia review on the petition, and compare
what they said with what I can see of the petition on the petition website,
and what the WorldNetNews says on theirs.  What Wikipedia said fit perfectly
with what I saw on the petition websites.  Further, Wikipedia documents it's
statements heavily with references to original material, which the petition
doesn't do.  While the informal studies that Wikipedia reports did not do
exhaustive searches to locate publications of authors and surely not all
publications are on Google as your friend points out correctly, some of the
people they tried had no publications at all on Google.  Further, there were
four different informal studies reported by Wickipedia, all of which found a
majority of the signatures were not PhD climate scientists, or at least not
what the petition authors claimed.  Your friend says "These names are most
likely 90% or more valid."  Now, if we are going to base our views on
evidence, are we going to go for 4 studies that actually tried checking
samples of signatures, or are we going to go with "most likely 90% are
valid" ie no checking whatsoever?  Personally, I don't think it's our
responsability to check the signatures.  There is a legitimate question of
their validity from the 4 spot checks.  The authors of the petition conclude
from the petition that 'global warming is a lie.'  If they want to make that
statement and try to convince anybody, then it is their job to marshall
their evidence.  The criticisms have been around for several years and yet
they haven't revealed any of their data they claim to have from validating
signatures, so anyone else can see if they're telling the truth.  In
addition, they want to conclude that "global warming is a lie" when the
petition said no such thing, plus the "article" in support was put in the
style of PNAS (who Seitz was the president of so he knows how to do it)
without any disclaimer that it was never published there or anywhere else in
a peer reviewed journal.  As others have said on their websites, that is
deliberately deceptive.  If they are deliberately deceptive, and will not
provide evidence to back up their claim, I don't see why anyone should pay
them any notice.  The whole point they wanted to make was that a huge number
of scientists disagree with the view that global warming is real, and they
have certainly not proven their point, rather they seem to have shown they
are willing to use deception to gain converts.  If they want to prove that
there are lots of scientists that believe that 'global warming is a lie'
then let them circulate a petition that says that exact thing, and require
every signer to give their degree and affiliation, and put all that on the
web so anyone can check their validity.  They don't do that because they
would get very few signatures.

      I got to thinking that since I'm not a climate scientist and I can't
properly evaluate the studies your friend quotes, other than that each one
seems to be trying a different idea, I wondered who would be an expert
authority.  Should I blindly trust the people who did this petition, who
have their headquarters in Cave Junction, Oregon?  I gather that the
anti-warming folks don't trust the IPCC one bit.  Apparently the fact that
Seitz was head of the National Academy of Sciences makes him an expert (even
though he is not a climatologist).  OK, then how about the National Academy
of Sciences?  The top body of scientists in the US, one of the most
prestigious in the world, said to have had 170 Nobel laureates total over
their many years of existence.  I see from their website that they have many
hundreds of top scientists from other countries in addition to their US
members.  They are asked by the US government to research various questions
and provide advice.  They have done something like 20 reports on different
aspects of climate change.  They have a staff of about 1100, and my
understanding is that they don't do the research, they study what has been
done and found, and prepare reports based on that.  So what do they say
about climate change?  Well, they have a 28 page booklet ("Understanding and
responding to climate change, highlights of National Academies Reports")
available to download or you can write for up to 15 free paper copies, which
summarizes the findings from their many reports (which they list and which
are on their site for free download, so you can find the basis for their
statements.).  Makes interesting reading.  Well illustrated with graphs
which I can't include in this message.  But let me quote just a little bit,

"Temperatures have already risen 1.4oF since the start of the 20th century -
with much of this warming occurring in just the last 30 years - and
temperatures will likely rise at least another 2oF, and possibly more than
11oF, over the next 100 years."  "In the Arctic, where temperatures have
increased almost twice as much as the global average, the landscape and
ecosystems are already changing rapidly."  "Most scientists agree that the
warming in recent decades has been caused primarily by human activities that
have increased the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere."  "Carbon
dioxide levels are at their highest in at least 650,000 years and continue
to rise."  "There is no doubt that climate will continue to change
throughout the 21st century and beyond"  "Large, disruptive changes are much
more likely if greenhouse gases are allowed to continue building up in the
atmosphere at their present rate."  "Rising temperatures and greenhouse gas
concentrations observed since 1978 are particularly noteworthy because the
rates of increase are so high and because, during the same period, the
energy reaching the Earth from the sun has been measured precisely by
satellites.  These measurements indicate that the Sun's output has not
increased since 1978, so the warming during the last 30 years cannot be
attributed to an increase in solar energy reaching the Earth."  "Thus, there
are no known natural factors that could explain the warming during this time
period."  "Additional evidence for a human influence on climate can be seen
in the geographical pattern of observed warming, with greater temperature
increases over land and in polar regions than over the oceans.  This pattern
is strongly indicative of warming caused by increasing greenhouse gas
concentrations, as is the vertical profile of warming in the atmosphere and
oceans."  "As ice records from Vostok, Antarctica show, the temperature near
the south pole has varied by more than 20oF during the past 350,000 years in
a regular pattern that constitutes the ice age/interglacial cycles.  Changes
in carbon dioxide concentrations (in blue) track closely with changes in
temperature (in red) during these cycles, but carbon dioxide levels are now
higher than any time during the past 650,000 years."  (the graph shows red
and blue lines virtually on top of each other except for the past 50 years
or so, when the blue CO2 line rockets way up above the rest of the graph.)

http://dels.nas.edu/dels/rpt_briefs/climate_change_2008_final.pdf

I'd just add a little description of one graph which shows the relative
roles of different factors in causing the observed increases in
temperatures.  Their Figure 5 shows for each factor the amount in Watts/m2
of forcings produced by each factor.  Positive values push upward on
temperatures, negative downward.  I can read the numbers off the graph as
approximately:
CO2:  +1.7
CH4 + N2O + Halocarbons = +1
Stratospheric water vapour from CH4: +0.1
Surface albedo, land use: -0.2, black carbon on snow: +0.1
Total aerosol- direct effect: -0.5
Total aerosol cloud albedo effect: -0.7
Linear contrails: +0.01
Solar irradiance: +0.1

So greenhouse gases have +2.7 effect, and solar irradiance +0.1, so
greenhouse gases have an effect 27 times the size of solar irradiance.

By the way, this booklet clearly points out that there are many different
sources of evidence that all show strong warming in recent years, following
many hundreds of years without consistant changes (7 are shown in their
Figure 3).  There are things like satellites, ice cores and tree rings and
old photos and paintings of glaciers, and many others.  Records in France
record the timing of the pinot noir harvest back to 1370 and similar records
exist for the blossoming dates of cherry trees and other flowering plants in
Japan, both of which can be used to study climate.  It is definately not
"nothing more than the computer modeling of climate."
I recommend this report, it is very easy reading, has very clear graphs, and
would seem to be more authoritative than a couple of guys in a garage in
Cave Junction, Oregon.  (no offense to Oregon, I went to school there and
love it.)    -Doug

the academy website is
www.nas.edu