[Coral-List] Global Warming Theory

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Mon Mar 9 12:52:45 EDT 2009

Dear Dave, I agree with most of what you said and yes I know about
Arrhenius and have referenced his work in a paper I published on sea
level fluctuation. Arrhenius work is about climate changes seen as
color changes in deep sea cores of sediment deposited way before the
industrial revolution. Was it CO2 driven? Possibly, but there were no
SUVs and coal fired power plants back then. You of course are aware
that further back in time, during the Cretaceous, there were rain
forests and dinosaurs near what are now icy  polar regions.  CO2 was
as high as 4,000 ppm (its about 380 today). You of course know all
that. You probably are also aware that during the Lower Cretaceous
there were reefs, composed of both  coraIs and rudists. The
Cretaceous Edwards reef trend, about the length of todays Great
Barrier reef, wrapped around what is now the Gulf of Mexico. It was
in places up to 1,000 feet thick! The great Barrier reef in Australia
by comparison is just a thin skin of corals over pre existing
topography. Of course it had millions of years to develop so it
should be thick, but you knew that. I don't think we differ very
much. I do not deny that CO2, and methane is a greenhouse gas but
water vapor is the most effective of all. We don't hear much about
that.  It may be keeping us from going into the next ice age which is
about due according to ice core data. It is all very very complicated
with many many feedback loops. I wish I understood it all and wonder
if we can rely on models? Prediction is very difficult...especially
if it is about the future, (Humor intended)
     About Lysenko, I think the writer that Bob was quoting was
implying that the next Lysenko may be just around the corner, or
possibly the next Stalin. Who knows?
Your comment, "With AGW, first it is a ludicrous red herring to claim
that AGW researchers assert that "that our weather and climate are
primarily people-driven."  Actually, it's worse that a red herring,
it's an outright lie.  Anyone who makes that claim immediately
forfeits credibility on the matter."
    Dave, I couldn't agree with you more. The AGW researchers I know
do  not claim that all is CO2 driven. Unfortunately that is not what
we are reading in the newspapers almost every day.. Do you disagree
with James Hansen. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor