[Coral-List] Caribbean Acropora spp. and Scientific Research

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Thu Mar 26 10:23:07 EDT 2009

Hi Sarah,

Even the permits required today are too difficult/costly and involve an
enormous amount of un-necessary tracking/paperwork to be practical for those
of us working regularly with A. palmata and A. cervicornis.  Reef Ball
Foundation has successfully worked in hundreds of projects with these
species in countries around the world...but we almost never do so in US or
US territorial waters....(an exception being some early scientific work in
Puerto Rico).

In most countries...we simply get a blanket permit for our organization and
volunteers as supervised by our experts and then can use our field judgement
on a case by case basis....in this country that's just not possible.
Perhaps it is something to consider?

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation